BELONG in STEM
Bringing Educational Learning Opportunities for New Growth in STEM
This FREE program is providing bridges from classroom learning experiences to the real world through hands-on experiences, connections to industry networks and exposure to future opportunities for students from underrepresented populations.
With support from Arconic Foundation, ABC CREATE and the Digital Foundry partnered to create BELONG in STEM (Bringing Education Learning Opportunities for New Growth in STEM) for high school students who are typically underrepresented in STEM careers. Sessions will be held at locations throughout the New Kensington area including at the Corner Launchbox, the Penn State New Kensington campus, the Digital Foundry and at various businesses.
If space is still available, applications will be accepted from now until the first day of summer camp, July 11, 2022. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance within a week of application submission.
- 35 High School students, especially those underrepresented in STEM, who are ready to have fun exploring technologies like robotics, smart systems, digital models with AR/VR (Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality) and building STEM skills with other high school students in the Alle-Kiski area. No prior experience with technologies or STEM is needed.
WHAT & WHEN
- Five 2.5-hour activity sessions from April-June 2022: Hands-on activities with technologies, communication skills, personal branding, and interaction with local businesses and industries including tours and role models. Tentative session dates:
- Session 1: Saturday, April 23, 2022 from 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM (lunch provided)
- Session 2: Saturday, May 7, 2022 from 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM (lunch provided)
- Session 3: Saturday, May 21, 2022 from 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM (lunch provided)
- Sessions 4 & 5: Two site visits to local businesses to see technologies in action (Dates TBD)
- Four-day Summer Camp, July 11-14, 2022 from 9 AM - 3 PM (lunch provided): Hosted at the Digital Foundry for in-depth, hands-on exposure to technologies and professional skills introduced during the activity sessions with direct access to the Digital Foundry’s equipment and industry partners
- To connect with industry professionals to learn and develop communication and leadership skills necessary for thriving after high school
- To consider how you can use tech and future-ready skills to make a difference in your community and/or our world
- To explore a range of pathways for developing a career plan for after high school
- To get an inside view of the Digital Foundry at New Kensington, the Corner Launchbox, Penn State New Kensington along with a first-hand look at advanced technologies in action in local businesses